Plans for beginning

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Plans for beginning - Page 2 Empty Re: Plans for beginning

Post  Rhino on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:38 pm

Seetherius wrote:I have no objections to use the Comm badge from STO.
*Trek nitpicking nerd mode on*
Actually they are more kind of from new movie or from TOS's chest insignia. Wink
*Trek nitpicking nerd mode off*
Rhino
Rhino

Champions : Diana and Angelique

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:17 am

Another way to handle the Independence in the galactic fringe and STO characters in Sector 001 battling Klingons... make it a holodeck training program abord the Independence.
It's a bit cheap however.

Diurne

Champions : Sable Lynx

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:13 am

Let's talk about ideas for start in STO:

Diurne wrote:Another way to handle the Independence in the galactic fringe and STO characters in Sector 001 battling Klingons... make it a holodeck training program abord the Independence.
It's a bit cheap however.
I don't like this idea as well, it would take the wind from the sail. But do you ask indirectly for more time in Maptool to set things up there?

So far I have the feeling that when Rhino is back after two week of abscence in February we can launch our fleet in STO.

Romanov wrote:One idea for the tutorial I had was that it is a shared experience. Even if we do it seperately as players, the events could be happening at the same time for the characters. So the characters could be beamed to help different ships during the event or to different parts of the same ship. They could start on the USS Independence or, again, different ships. Then they are given there own ships to command as part of a newly assembled fleet.
So this proposal means to make the happening of the of the Tutorial not a holodeck simulation. Instead it shall be part of the real events in STO universe. I have to admit with all the pressure on the Federation from all sides plus the reappearance of the Borg makes it IC wise easy to put Lieutenants on a center chair of a ship, because Starfleet is likely overwhelmed.
But personally I would like to keep the USS Independence out of it. I think we all agree on that the Independence is in drydock for refits (and repairs?).
So this could mean your character is stationed elsewhere and can't stay in the vicinity of the Independence (yes, again Starfleet is on a shortage of capable officers) and then suddenly your ship receives the Distress Signal of the USS Khitomer and then the game begins.

Time to reach again a consensus on these matters! Therefore: Talk!Smile
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Champions : Light of Truth

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:44 am

Considering that from the start I cut Zhen from links to STO (which is double good because I've noticed that on STO Andorians have only one skill that allows any kind of medical bonus meaning he can't be really great doctor), I'm good with any option. Smile
Although the thing that tutorial is real and that Independence is in drydock for repairs or refits sounds most logical to me.

On the matter of MapTool... we can still continue doing it in "flashback" mode. Things happened before, hell maybe they are even because of something marked as classified so that is why people in present day do not talk about it.
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:14 pm

Seetherius wrote:But do you ask indirectly for more time in Maptool to set things up there?

No, no. Just thinking about ways to handle time space anomalies. My MapTool campaign is heading straight into a wall with the february release, whatever I do.
Its main theme being at first exploration on your own has to be scrapped completely to conciliate with STO. I expected an autumn release.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Rhino wrote:On the matter of MapTool... we can still continue doing it in "flashback" mode. Things happened before, hell maybe they are even because of something marked as classified so that is why people in present day do not talk about it.

Thinking more about this, I believe it's the best solution for me. Because then I won't have to accomodate the release of STO and I can keep playing the way I prepared it.
By the way, I'm not particularly shy at killing player characters (and no, I don't ask the player if he agrees). Which doesn't mean I enjoy doing it and look for it. Just, sometimes, bad luck, bad decisions... it happens.
So, I gave some thought to the topic.

Because, if our characters are in STO, they obviously didn't die during the 5-years mission of the Independence Smile
So I am going for a sidetrack with "dead" characters. Instead of just plain dying, I will grant a "injured seriously enough to be removed from the mission".
In other words, the MapTool characters can still be removed from play. But if they should have died, I guess saying they were crippled enough and healing for a time is ok too. They are removed from the mission anyway.
So, say, Tiron can be crushed and will lose his command of the Independence permanently. Injured seriously enough, brought back to safe Starfleet space, command given to someone else.
But he can still show up in STO.

That said...
If we consider the 5-years mission happens before STO, why don't we start seeing the Independence in STO as Tiron starting ship ?

Maybe the Independence crew, after the mission, is asked to train new recruits and officers to the Starfleet way because of the looming war with the Klingons ?
So Tiron and anyone else could end in different ships, not because of promotions or black marks but because, well, Starfleet needs experienced officers to teach and train a new generation of canon fo-... of Starfleet fine crews.
Just submitting the idea.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:38 pm

Diurne wrote:By the way, I'm not particularly shy at killing player characters
Tiron and dying? Can only happen if he fights against an El-Aurian mad scientist on a rocky planet and falls down together with a bridge while having fun riding it downwards and the Captain of the Independence-D watches him. Razz

Diurne wrote:Because then I won't have to accomodate the release of STO and I can keep playing the way I prepared it. ... If we consider the 5-years mission happens before STO, why don't we start seeing the Independence in STO as Tiron starting ship ?
So this means that the Independence started her mission to the galactic fringe in the year 2403/04 (5 years before returning early in the year 2409). Well before the outbreak of the conflict/war with the Klingons that starts in 2406 when they invade the Horomi cluster and annex the planet Korvat.
Diurne wrote:Maybe the Independence crew, after the mission, is asked to train new recruits and officers to the Starfleet way because of the looming war with the Klingons ?
This idea would only work for characters that are also part of the Independence crew (here Tiron and Ria) who get the task to train other officers abord other ships. This doesn't work for Rhino's and Romanov's commanding officers. They are newcomers to our Fleet and therefore students?

Under the buttom line I can agree with that we play further STO MapTool and play them in "flashback" mode. Further it's also reasonable that officers of the Independence are stationed elsewhere to share their gained experienced with other officer abord different starships. This is complementary to Rhino's good idea that the Independence is in drydock and their officers are asked to fill spots abord other ships, because Starfleet is on a shortage of officers. This will continue until the Independence is ready to go again (whenever I hit the appropiorate rank for it).

Another question to this idea: Will Tiron be like a tutor for a random npc Captain abord the ships I as a player am going to fly? You remember like how in Star Trek Bridge Commander (awesome game Exclamation) how Captain Picard is your tutor in the first mission?
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne on Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Seetherius wrote:So this means that the Independence started her mission to the galactic fringe in the year 2403/04 (5 years before returning early in the year 2409). Well before the outbreak of the conflict/war with the Klingons that starts in 2406 when they invade the Horomi cluster and annex the planet Korvat.

That's the idea yes.

This idea would only work for characters that are also part of the Independence crew (here Tiron and Ria) who get the task to train other officers abord other ships. This doesn't work for Rhino's and Romanov's commanding officers. They are newcomers to our Fleet and therefore students?

Not my fault if Rhino decides to not play Zhen in STO Smile And about Rom character, he's abandoning Grant and if Drake isn't going to be seen on MapTool, we don't really have to fabricate a reason for him.
I am just submitting an idea on why the Independence crew may no longer be on the Independence in 2409 and, for some of them, why they end on different ships.
Now, true, in practice, it's useless since only Tiron and Ria are concerned now (no Zhen in STO, no Grant in sight, O'Rourke may not be in STO so...)
Ok, the idea of playing a whole crew to come to STO at once is a bit broken on the floor but it doesn't matter much.

Under the buttom line I can agree with that we play further STO MapTool and play them in "flashback" mode. Further it's also reasonable that officers of the Independence are stationed elsewhere to share their gained experienced with other officer abord different starships. This is complementary to Rhino's good idea that the Independence is in drydock and their officers are asked to fill spots abord other ships, because Starfleet is on a shortage of officers. This will continue until the Independence is ready to go again (whenever I hit the appropiorate rank for it).

It isn't what I proposed ? :p

Another question to this idea: Will Tiron be like a tutor for a random npc Captain abord the ships I as a player am going to fly? You remember like how in Star Trek Bridge Commander (awesome game Exclamation) how Captain Picard is your tutor in the first mission?

Tutoring would still suppose that the true captain has the final word and decision. Captaincy has interest mainly because you're deciding, not advising.
But your call.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Not my fault if Rhino decides to not play Zhen in STO Smile
Well I said it clearly from the start of MapTool ST that Zhen is MapTool only character, and as said before STO does not even give me the options to recreate him properly. Also playing him like this gives me that feeling of uncertainty, since he is not scheduled for STO (except as bridge crew maybe) he can die for real. Which of course again adds to excitement and suspense.

But to make a nice compromise... my captain can appear on MapTool ST as a crewmember ensign? It's easy to introduce that character as an NPC with minor role on MapTool.
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Romanov on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Grant will continue to exist in maptool and I'd also have Drake as a helmsman aboard the Independence if that helps.

Romanov

Champions : Mandate/Gabriel Grant

Back to top Go down

Post  Romanov on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Seetherius wrote:Time to reach again a consensus on these matters! Therefore: Talk!Smile

I'm keen to write a few Captain's log style entries for Drake. There are a few fixed points I need to work around, namely the day he joined Starfleet Academy, the day he joined the USS Independence as a helmsman, the day he was stationed on another ship because the Independence needed refit/repair, the day the events in the tutorial happened and the Doomsday Device mission that he took part in last night.

Could we maybe start an STO timeline as I'm sure it would help us all?

Also, please add your ships to the Ships of the Line thread; I want to see them!

Romanov

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:41 pm

Romanov wrote:Could we maybe start an STO timeline as I'm sure it would help us all?
Check.
Romanov wrote:Also, please add your ships to the Ships of the Line thread; I want to see them!
Check.

About Fleet names. So far our group has been only a random Task Force, but in near future it'll become a fleet. We need to agree to a name and so far we got following suggestions:
  • Flota de Oro
  • Europa Fleet
  • Geneva Fleet
  • Unity Fleet
  • Tempest Fleet
  • Scirocco Fleet
  • Maelstrom Fleet
  • Seraphim Fleet

Maybe you got further ideas what could be our name?

I'd also like to know which name you tend to like most!
My candidates so far are : Flota de Oro and Maelstrom Fleet.
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:14 pm

No matter how much I love pirates I just can't see myself in flota de oro in Star Trek. Wink

From given ones Unity Fleet sounds nicest, although I see most suggestions are a bit dramatic... why not adding simple space terms, bodies and locations as a name? Antares Fleet? Andromeda Fleet? Or something similar.
Or simply let's just call it Independence Fleet as its flagship. :p
Of course dramatic name is okay if it is linked to general theme of the fleet... e.g. Maelstrom Fleet because fleet is headed for a region of space known as maelstrom of stars.
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Romanov on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks for adding ships to the Ships of the Line thread; the science ships are v sexy.
I've updated my entires too.

I'd like to add Venture Fleet to the possibly names for the group.

Romanov

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Independence Fleet/Task Force for me.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Diurne wrote:Independence Fleet/Task Force for me.

Which also makes sense in CO since we have series Star Trek: Independence there. Smile
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Rhino wrote:Maelstrom Fleet because fleet is headed for a region of space known as maelstrom of stars.
As a sidenote: the Maelstrom is in Star Trek Bridge Commander (it's the best Star Trek game I've ever played) a region of space where the game takes place. This region is called Maelstrom, because the solar activity there is so high that normal lifeforms can't survive there on any planet's surface without outlying support.

Back to topic: I can also live with Independence Fleet. Smile
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Independence Fleet FTW!
The name is not as cool as 1337 ph1337 though. Wink
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:44 pm

We can still reregister the Independence as the NX-1337.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

Do I assume correctly that all agree on the name "Independence Fleet"?
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Romanov on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:56 pm

The only reservation I had with Independence Fleet was that it might be an oxymoron. But I think it sounds good and I'm fine with it.

Romanov

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Independence Fleet, I guess I can add it then to the list of agreement.

With Patrick O'Rourke in game we need only Robert MacDougal (Rhino's char) to establish our Fleet. And like I said before I think it's best that with Rhino being there we let the Borg show their ugly face to the Federation again and will add it so in the Timeline as well.

I propose also to introduce a fleet day. One evening where our Fleet does episode content together or hang around at the local station's bar and everyone keep fondling their tribble. Wink - So far Sunday evening was always a good candidate for it.

The problem is now that Diurne reported that there is no sidekicking option anymore. I believed it would remain in the live game, as it was available in closed beta. So if I join the fray with my Akira in one of Patrick's mission and spread torpedoes at the enemies it's likely they're going to explode by just one shot, which is bad and not immersive. And vice versa Patrick canĀ“t fight yet Romulans, because they would blast him by just two shots. Either way it won't be much of fun in space, which is a very bad move of Cryptic.

Having done research in ths problem I found this thread on the official forums: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=102326&highlight=sidekick
They are from the summary of command lines you can type and I have the hope we can successfully test the sidekicking option and see if it works in space as well, since STO and CO share the same engine and programm structure.
Promote - Promote a player to become your team leader

Teamleader - Promote a player to become your team leader

Leader - Promote a player to become your team leader

Setchamp - Set the sidekicking champion for your team

Setchampion - Set the sidekicking champion for your team

Champ - Set the sidekicking champion for your team

Champion - Set the sidekicking champion for your team

Sk - Turn on/off team sidekicking (sk 1 to turn on, sk 0 to turn off)

Skon - Turn on team sidekicking

Skoff - Turn off team sidekicking

Sidekick - Turn on/off team sidekicking (sidekick 1 to turn on, sidekick 0 to turn off)

Sidekickon - Turn on team sidekicking

Sidekickoff - Turn off team sidekicking
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne on Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Yes, it's less noticeable on ground (but read below) but in space, the level discrepancy kills all the fun.
Patrick was fighting Birds of Prey I could one shot (from fully shielded, full hull to scraps of metal in space).
The reverse will be true. A too large level discrepancy means you not only are destroyed fast by enemies if too low but also your impact on the space battle is nil as your own hit on the enemy is going to barely scratch the shields.

On the ground it's a bit less severe, the damage output of your character is not sooo huge compared to the other lower level player. It's still significant enough, I must say. It's like a 50% increase.
(as an afterthought, it may also be a 50% increase in space but due to the nature of space battle it may have a larger impact when we talk about quantum torpedoes)

I'm just baffled by the fact Cryptic didn't include the SK option anymore. But it may be an oversight from them while working on patches.
The option to save and load costumes also vanished at the end of open beta. It was back after release. So we can hope.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2