Incredible Heroes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Trek Online Collector's Edition - Ferengi rip-off politics involved?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Star Trek Online Collector's Edition - Ferengi rip-off politics involved? Empty Star Trek Online Collector's Edition - Ferengi rip-off politics involved?

Post  Seetherius Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:02 am

Qua'pla! geek

Maybe you have received already the mail from Cryptic to preorder STO from shops in America (and in near future in Europe too I guess).

Here some things that goes with the Collector's Edition:
  • Deluxe Packaging, so not the usual standard dvd box where you have only one DVD in it.
  • Big Manual: a book that basically explains how to play but in high quality instead reading a PDF on your PC. It's nice to have here 40 pages full of artwork from STO.
  • Guest Passes: We can hand out 3x10 days trials to people we like to invite.
  • Booster power: an ability that gives you a little advantage for your ship, like extra adding energy for short time and long recharge I guess.
  • Uniforms: TNG, DS9 and VOY uniform will be selectable.

Especially the last point with Uniforms from the series/movies makes me consider if I shall buy that Collector's Edition (and it's tempting to me!). But I have also the thought if I run solely arond in a DS9 Uniform and the rest of you don't then it doesn't make much sense that I'm the only one to get it.

Of course Collector's Edition is more expensive than the regular edition. In the US its price is 80$, so almost twice the price of the regular one which costs only 50$.

Just wondering if any of you is interested to buy that?
It's also possible that Cryptic will hand out Lifetime-Subcriptions and I assume they'll cost again about 180$.
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Champions : Light of Truth

Back to top Go down

Star Trek Online Collector's Edition - Ferengi rip-off politics involved? Empty Re: Star Trek Online Collector's Edition - Ferengi rip-off politics involved?

Post  Diurne Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:32 am

• Deluxe Packaging, so not the usual standard dvd box where you have only one DVD in it.

Too cumbersome most probably. So it's rather a downside for me. I'm not very receptive to the "collector" value of a game box Smile

• Big Manual: a book that basically explains how to play but in high quality instead reading a PDF on your PC. It's nice to have here 40 pages full of artwork from STO.

Likewise, the collector value of the concept art is low for me. May be nice to look at once or twice, that's all.
So actually, not even something i'd consider buying normally.
(unless it's a full real book with a lot of art, then I can reconsider but given the sale here, it's probably just a handful of sheets)

• Guest Passes: We can hand out 3x10 days trials to people we like to invite.

I give no value to promotional items to pass to others Smile
If Cryptic wants me to promote their game, they just gives me guests key accounts.

• Booster power: an ability that gives you a little advantage for your ship, like extra adding energy for short time and long recharge I guess.

It's probably that yes. It's also likely the utility of such power is low at best.
Maybe useful at early ranks but not later.
Pretty much like the CoH veteran powers. They were really handy only the first ten levels (but far from being critical).

• Uniforms: TNG, DS9 and VOY uniform will be selectable.

The only goodies I am attracted to. However, considering the increased cost just for that makes the Collector version unattractive to me.
When I'd probably buy gladly from the STO-store that will surely come.

So... in fewer words, the goodies from the Collector's Edition that can interest me are only the uniforms. And it's too costly just for them.
Plus, while I like the late DS9/VOY style, I find the style of STO uniforms quite nice too Smile

And yes, it may be better to save money by not buying this edition, even if it means no access to the uniforms then buy a lifetime subscription.
Considering 180$ is about 120€. And if we imagine the average monthly fee in Europe is 15€, it means the lifetime cost is about the same than paying 8 months of subscription. Rather affordable and a good deal.

Diurne

Champions : Sable Lynx

Back to top Go down

Star Trek Online Collector's Edition - Ferengi rip-off politics involved? Empty Re: Star Trek Online Collector's Edition - Ferengi rip-off politics involved?

Post  Rhino Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:08 pm

This "collector's edition" seems quite uninteresting and empty. I mean, I have pretty much all Guild Wars CE's and for some 50$ in them I got a host of goodies including figurines, mousepads, artbooks, OST CDs and such (and in game goodies as weapons and such), compared to that this is a pure ripoff. I don't play GW now for a long time, but I still use goodies from it like the mousepad. And artbooks are quite good and look nice standalone on the shelf too, I also often use GW soundtracks as background music in tabletops because it pretty much has amazing and atmospheric OST. (Figurines basically just gather dust and pins and stickers and other crap I gave around to friends). But anyway, in my opinon that is how proper CE that I would buy looks like. A few digital things and printed manual (that should be with the game anyway) is not CE.

By the way, just like in CO's case with action figures, I'm betting that CE uniforms will be available in C-Store to buy anyway. And considering that the CO's costume prices are quite reasonable (unlike CoH's 15€ for a single set of clothes) I don't see much problems in getting them later. Smile
Rhino
Rhino

Champions : Diana and Angelique

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:56 pm

While I believe it would be a bad move, it is possible they make the CE uniforms exclusive.
There is, for example, a costume set in the CO lifetime subs that you can't get on the C-store (I've used some elements on Lithium I believe, maybe the wings).
Someone from Cryptic stated the costume set is staying exclusive to the lifetime subs (now, just wait for a new sales manager and this decision will go the bin).

Since TNG/DS9/VOY costuming is pretty much iconic of Star Trek, it would be an unwise and a very flamable decision to restrict its access to the CE buyers.
It would be as if capes were a costume option only for Champions Online lifetime buyers.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Still things from CO CE is available on C-Store, so let's hope it will be like that in STO too. Smile
And yes, that would be a very, very bad move to restrict those to all, and I hope Cryptic knows it.
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:05 pm

What is this now?
Star Trek Online: Digital Deluxe Edition
Features

• TOS Uniform Set (in-game item): 3 Uniforms from the Original series (blue, red, yellow)
  • Joined Trill: Play as a Joined Trill. Joined Trill come with a symbiote that grants you several lifetimes of experience. The "Joined" species trait grants you a bonus to 5 skills.
  • Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote (in-game item): An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
  • Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote (in-game item): Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet and interact with other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture -the blood wine toast.
  • Unique Registry Prefix (in-game item): Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.”
  • Unique Ship Item (in-game item): - Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module that grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.

I don't know yet how much this should cost, but somehow I start to dislike their attempt to get as much money as possible from Star Trek fans.
It makes me my "moment of fury, with the timeless cry... "CRYYYPTIC!"".
I'll keep my ears open when there's more info about profit
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:46 am

Honestly this one ssounds better than the first one. :p
Although I'm quite displeased about TOS uniforms being in this one. Obviously I see Mesoc aiming for the Trill. If it will not be overpriced, I may even go for this one although if there will be the word that these items will be buyable in store later I won't touch it since I'm interested only in uniforms and maybe KHAAAAAN emote. Wink
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Only the Joined Trill option has some value... and even... since you can create your own custom race, what's the point ?
Ok, you have the "official Trill" appearance. Maybe the spots on your head will be nicer than the ones in the custom race (or they will remove them from custom so they make sure noone save the guys who bought this version can make a character looking as a Trill).

I'm still unconvinced by their "special editions".
It looks to me they are trying to cram in various super low value in-game details to make the version looking attractive.
Which is going the bad route. Because offering in-game elements is self defeating. Either they are good and others will shout in frustration. Either they are crap so what are you paying for ?

Such edition (obviously not the Digital one) should focus on real, fan service, goodies : a gorgeous map of the game areas, a booklet of blueprints of the new ships introduced by the game, an illustrated booklet on the "path to 2409" timeline, a "what happened to them" booklet detailing what is the fate of the Janeways, Siskos and other Rikers... etc...

And not stuff they just move from the regular game (come on... emotes ?) to "special/collector/pre-order editions" so they don't have to put work in.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:02 am

I was skimming a bit over their preorder specials page and one thing that got my interested was Borg officer (obviously for Angie), the problem is that only US Amazon, UK Amazon and game.fr are giving that one. Amazons are not shipping games to here so that drops out, but game.co.uk is, so I guess game.fr is also. Can please our local frenchpeople here check what the site shipping policy says about that? Although if whole game will be in French then this drops out too.
I'm considering best options for what I would like to have. Smile

Also for Rom and actually all of you except me, Amazon.co.uk is having very sweet STO SE prorder deal for 18 pounds.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Online-Special-DVD/dp/B002WTAQBA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1260832966&sr=8-1
Lucky bastards. Sad
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Romanov Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:29 am

I can always order something from amazon.co.uk and mail it to you.

Romanov

Champions : Mandate/Gabriel Grant

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:59 am

Amazon UK sells in continental Europe as far as I know (France at least for sure).

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Romanov Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:43 am

It doesn't say what in game items you get with the edition on Amazon UK. There is a message that they are going to find out and add them soon.

It does seem that the Borg bridge officer is the sweetest plum on offer so finger's crossed it appears in a UK package.

Romanov

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Diurne wrote:Amazon UK sells in continental Europe as far as I know (France at least for sure).

But not Croatia, as far as PC games are concerned. Sad Books yes, games no. Why? Only god knows.

It doesn't say what in game items you get with the edition on Amazon UK. There is a message that they are going to find out and add them soon.
It does seem that the Borg bridge officer is the sweetest plum on offer so finger's crossed it appears in a UK package.

You get Borg for pre-order, so it should be there. The unknown items are for SE edition I think since I see that European SE editions are handled by Namco-Bandai and they have different stuff in them than US ones. It will probably be this one as the rest of Europe:
http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games/Star-Trek-Online-Collectors-Edition/~r345236/

As for ordering and mailing I just have to ask my bank what is the procedure of transferring funds from my account to yours. It should be possible, I guess. Thanks. Smile
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:45 pm

I got myelf preorder from Amazon.co.uk using my relatives in Slovenia. Funnily Amazon ships games to Slovenia, but not to us (only few more kilometers away!).
But, of course in these few days that I arranged things with my family, the preorder price jumped from 18 pounds to 25. Just my luck. :p
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Romanov Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:16 pm

I put my order in just in time then Smile

Romanov

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Star Trek Online: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Unique Registry Prefix (in-game item): Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.”

On a second reading, that's where I wonder why they bother paying for a license. How is it related to "elite" ?

Let see... the NX-01 Enterprise is the first true space explorer, a boldly move from mankind, despite Vulcan warnings.
The NX-74205 Defiant is the first of a new class and a new design concept of small armed warships.
Te NX-59650/NX-74913 Promeheus is a prototype stuffed with technology novelties, from the EMH-II, to regenerative shielding, to fast warp engines and the multi-vector thingie.

Do I see a pattern... ?

And how a registry number will grant an "elite" status to what is just a starship hull ? "You'll be elite, my son !"
On the other hand, those ships look to all share a "prototype/first of its kind" nature.

Hence a certain NX-77001 USS Independence.
But it must be "elite" in STO terms Rolling Eyes

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:14 pm

I keep wondering from where I shall get the Digital Deluxe Edition. UK and Germany stores I see only Special edition (or in Germany Silver edition) and I don't see what they grant besides the core game.

Or can it be that I can get the Digital Deluxe Edition only from the Atari store?

I hate this confusion about different game versions. Mad
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:37 pm

I imagine the Digital version is downloadable only.
Which may be why I'd get that one, simply because I don't have to store another box.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:45 pm

I took a look at the Atari Store about the Digital Deluxe Edition and it says that this thing isn't available for my region? Any idea where to get it then?
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Ah yes, I didn't notice that. No idea... The other digital distributors sell digital copies. No sure it's the "Deluxe" version, ever.
Direct2Drive sells a downloadable (regular) game for example.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:15 pm

Found the Digital Deluxe on Direct2Drive : here

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:56 am

Diurne wrote:
On a second reading, that's where I wonder why they bother paying for a license. How is it related to "elite" ?

Let see... the NX-01 Enterprise is the first true space explorer, a boldly move from mankind, despite Vulcan warnings.
The NX-74205 Defiant is the first of a new class and a new design concept of small armed warships.
Te NX-59650/NX-74913 Promeheus is a prototype stuffed with technology novelties, from the EMH-II, to regenerative shielding, to fast warp engines and the multi-vector thingie.

Do I see a pattern... ?

There was also Excelsior, in third movie it had NX (-2000) prefix too. And it was special because it supposedly could use transwarp... which it couldn't in the end. So it seems NX goes to radical new prototypes that change the usual starfleet concepts. Or whatever...

I'm just unhappy that excelsior class is not in the game. :p I like that hull.
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:47 pm

The Vesper hull is close enough.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:40 am

Here we have the USS Mesoc passing by a Vesper class. Smile
Star Trek Online Collector's Edition - Ferengi rip-off politics involved? Screenshot2009120521295.th
As you can see it's only missing the characteristic "neck" between the stardrive and saucer section, but everything else is a close match to an Excelsior class.

Now I wonder if the Nebula class will also be represented in the game. So far I haven't seen anything looking like that.
Rhino wrote:There was also Excelsior, in third movie it had NX (-2000) prefix too. And it was special because it supposedly could use transwarp... which it couldn't in the end. So it seems NX goes to radical new prototypes that change the usual starfleet concepts. Or whatever...
About the NX prefix: I think someone at Cryptic or Atari has messed this up and isn't so versed in Star Trek lore like we are. Wink
In Star Trek Canon the NX prefix only applies to ships that are prototypes or use experimental technologies that haven't been deployed yet in any field test.
Other examples for NX bearing ships are the USS Bradbury (conducting warp performance tests in 2367) and the Yellowstone class runabout (in an alternate reality has Harry Kim constructed a runabout with different Warp propulsion system).

To the origion of this topic:
Click here to see what different versions so far exist there. When you click on details there you can see some are offering an old TOS style Constitution class, while another one offers a Borg Drone, again another a TR-116 rifle (which looks like a phaser rifle in the pic so far) and again another a Type-8 shuttlecraft.
For a casual customer this must be very confusing if they stumble upon this. Rolling Eyes
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhino Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:45 am

I just got confirmation form Amazon that I'll be getting my Borg code. Yippie. But just to mention that it also says that Borg code will be given only for preorders placed before 7th January. I don't know if this is the case for all preorders or just Amazon, but if you want preorder goodies, preorder soon just in case. Smile

Anyway, also Vesper's nacelle pylons are V shaped, if I see it correctly on the picture (Excelsior has L shaped ones). Vesper looks like a mix of Constitution and Excelsior classes. Smile I'm still hoping for pure Excelsior in one of the future updates.
Rhino
Rhino

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next