Incredible Heroes
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strategic Simulation

2 posters

Go down

Strategic Simulation Empty Strategic Simulation

Post  Diurne Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi there,

I already convinced Cheetah, I had Rhino get the game... so now maybe it's time to speak about playing it.

As you may remember, I played a game of Space Empires V, with Trek modifications, as a sort of "holodeck simulation" (a game I stopped updating since I lost a bunch of game turns after a crash due to excessive alt+tabs).

For the new year, I'm proposing we start a new game.
The more the merrier. So I'm just hoping to get Mes with us.

The game to look for is Space Empires V, US version (the later is necessary since the game can be patched to 1.79 and the european distributor never went past 1.74).

So far, I'm proposing we start a PBEM game, say, us three (Cheetah, Rhino, me) for now.

• Each of us would be playing one of the major Trek races (available : Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Borg, Cardassian, Ferengi, Breen, Dominion, specie 8472, Tholian)
  • we could add one IA playing a major race for each of us playing (so +3 major IA for now)
  • adding "minor" empires and races unknown to Trek universe is an option. But I recommend we keep the number low
  • I propose to create the major races under SE5 rules, to fit the closest possible to the shows, which mean they may not be balanced
  • however, because of the SE5 technology structure, specific tech to simulate Trek techs should be left aside. In other words, Romulans won't have cloaking tech from start and everyone can research it (yes, we can even set an in-game treaty to prevent its use, however)
  • victory conditions would have to be determined or the game could last until it is boring to us
  • player to player negotiation and interaction should be organized because in-game communication and spying is a part of the game (in other words, if we always go through forum for IC interaction, part of espionnage become useless). I'd suggest IC forum interaction only for "summit" or stuff like that.
  • since it's PBEM, playing regularly is the key to prevent interest from fading

Opinions welcomed.

Diurne

Champions : Sable Lynx

Back to top Go down

Strategic Simulation Empty Re: Strategic Simulation

Post  Seetherius Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:29 pm

Merry X-Mes everyone! Very Happy

Okay, I understand you want to start a sort of round based strategic game where everyone of us is going to play a major Trek faction. What does PBEM mean here?

IA player? You probably mean AI (artificial intelligence)?

How long do you play it during the week? A whole evening like maptool?

Strategic simulation: Does this mean whatever happens it is only a simulation and not attached to current ST Independence/STO events?
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Champions : Light of Truth

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:31 am

Seetherius wrote:What does PBEM mean here?

Play By E-Mail, sorry.
Because one can play his turn on his side then send the moves and results to the next player, generally by e-mail.*There looks to be an option with TCP/IP hosting but I don't have a working computer to test it for now.

IA player? You probably mean AI (artificial intelligence)?

Erm. Yes... AI ("IA" in french, hence the mistake)

How long do you play it during the week? A whole evening like maptool?

It isn't mandatory to set evenings to play. While me and Cheetah tend to do this but it's only for our convenience and because it helps speeding the game flow.
In theory, you can play whenever you want and then send the turn result to the next player.
In practice, it's better to play a full turn about once per day, at least at start. If not faster (the early turn are generally with little to do than waiting for new discoveries in science or in stellar exploration)

Strategic simulation: Does this mean whatever happens it is only a simulation and not attached to current ST Independence/STO events?

It could be used to play the strategic events behind the MapTool Trek game. I can set a game with the major players (Kjarg and the Klingons, the Prani, the Dracartan Empire, the Federation, for a start) but given the nature of MapTool games, it's a bit lacking on the classical races side.
Related to STO... you can. But considering STO won't change according to our game results... Now, coupled with the Foundry, you can imagine missions related to this kind of game.

The simulation proposal is just the easier and allows anything.

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:21 pm

In practice, it's better to play a full turn about once per day, at least at start.
And how long does this take? I'm asking because I have to manage a lot my time during reading time at university. While I could also play it then at university I tend to not do that, because it'll simply distract me (and makes failure guaranteed).

The simulation proposal is just the easier and allows anything.
Why do I have the feeling that playing the Mirror Universe tends to be more fun? A strategic research based on the recent mirror universe incursion? Smile
There we could do everything we like. Very Happy
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:13 am

Seetherius wrote:And how long does this take?

The early turns... from 10secs to 1mn depending on your familiarity with the game and your planning.
Later, from 5mn to 20mn each, depending on your faction size, your own choices, if you're at war or not etc...
After about 200 turns, it may be more or less 20mn per turn.

Why do I have the feeling that playing the Mirror Universe tends to be more fun? A strategic research based on the recent mirror universe incursion? Smile
There we could do everything we like. Very Happy

Because starship designs to be added as mods are based on the regular universe and not the Mirror Smile

Now, we can also imagine it's actual events located in an area like the Arucanis Arm (in STO) (tieing to STO would make the old Dominions and Cardassians factions irrelevant however unless we go for our own explanation)

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Seetherius Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:58 am

About strategic simulation or tying it to anything I feel okay with both. I have no preference here.

Now I wonder more who takes which faction?
Seetherius
Seetherius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Diurne Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:42 am

Obviously we cannot all be Federation Smile (while the game wouldn't mind, it is a little uninteresting)

Let's wait for others preferences (simulation or Arucanis Arm). With a simulation, we can choose any faction at will, with a Arucanis Arm game, we're a bit supposed to play bordering powers first (Federation, Klingons, Romulans) then extrapolate to add a fourth (be it Borg or True Way most likely).

Diurne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum